Elder Austin J. Johnson

Elder Austin J. Johnson
Elder Austin Johnson has been called to serve in the Marshall Islands Marjuro Mission of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and invites you to share in his adventure! "You will know at the finish line."

Friday, August 12, 2016

MTC: Week 2

okwe!

Quick update on Elder Johnson here in the MTC! In class we were given two packets filled with Marshallese phrases and nouns and verbs all to memorize by the end of six weeks. I just finished memorizing them yesterday :). I love the language so much! It is ridiculous but the cool thing is that they don't conjugate their verbs! They conjugate their PRONOUNS! So like past, now, future. Thats it. Just 42 words to conjugate and you can easily form sentences! For our devotionals, we got to hear from Apostle Neil L. Andersen and he gave us advice about becoming better missionaries of Christ. He said to BE CLEAN, BE OBEDIENT, and BE BUSY. Very powerful talk! On Sunday (fast Sunday) choir offered an incentive that if you joined the choir you got to eat dinner at 4 instead of 5:30. So I joined the choir haha. But in the end I am so grateful I did that. Immediately filled with the Spirit as we sang "Praise to the Man" after Elder Holland's son, Matthew Holland, talked to us about the hardships and trials Joseph Smith had to overcome while establishing the church. Easily one of the most spiritual experiences of my life. Language is going good. I am feeling the spirit. And I am making friends. Next email will be introducing my district :)

Iokwe Kom!


Elder J

Here is the description of the district:  (See photo sent last week).

Top Left to right:

Elder Kennerly: This Elder (he calls himself the Brown Elder) is the exact manifestation of Walker. It is spooky. Sounds like him too. He is probably my closest friend during my stay here. Hilarious and his dad is a bodybuilder, so I go out with him to the weight room sometimes to lift and boy he looks skinny but he can double whatever I lift it is insane!

Elder Turnbow: Humble and Kind Elder from Idaho. He contacted me before the mission and he is a super nice guy. He is our DL and he is Elder Kennerly's companion. He is so nice and really reminds us to focus during study time if we begin to be loud.

Elder Robinson: My companion from the UK. Very passionate about England and Soccer. Has the tendency to make you laugh and always willing to counter anything you say :)

Elder Sevison: He is also the closest of my friends here. He is so funny and really reminds me of the friends I have back home. He loves joking around and really carries the spirit with him when it needs to be there.

Elder Ross: He is Elder Sevison's companion and he is the most athletic of our group. Loves to talk about the glory days of baseball and has several offers and scholarships waiting for him when he gets home. Love spending time with him.

Elder Rider: This Californian is part of the only companionship in our district not headed to the Marshall Islands. He and his companion are headed to Hawaii Marshallese-Speaking. He is pretty softspoken but laughs at my jokes so hes cool :P. He comes to me when he needs help memorizing something in Marshallese. Also a good friend of mine.

Elder Bichsel (pronounced Bixel): He is such a stud. He is from Utah and he is Elder Rider's comp so he is also headed to Hawaii. He always has a funny story up his sleeve and is always there to make you feel happy and comforted. One of my close friends as well.

Bottom Left to Right:

Elder Thiel (pronounced Teal): He reminds me so much of Adam Nielson. He is a huge tall guy who loves the gospel and can bring the Spirit in quickly. Love him so much and all that he does to help our district.

Elder J: Yours truly ;)

Elder Scott: Elder Thiel's comp. Although he looks like a skinny ginger guy, he has a picture of him on his camera of him with a full fledged curly beard lookin like a Viking. He is a stud and I respect that. Reminds me of Bro. Archibald. So I guess leaving for the MTC I couldn't even get away from him haha ;).


Last thing I wanted to say was the testimony meeting we had on Sunday. We were asked to speak in the mission language. Although it was very spiritual, the most spiritual testimonies I saw (yes saw, not heard) were the ASL Elders. Holy cow. It is incredible that although they just move their hands in weird ways the Holy Ghost just confirms in your heart that what they were saying was true. You could hear a pin drop. It was incredible.


Love you All and I will talk to ya next week!


Elder J

No comments:

Post a Comment