Elder Austin J. Johnson

Elder Austin J. Johnson
Elder Austin Johnson has been called to serve in the Marshall Islands Marjuro Mission of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and invites you to share in his adventure! "You will know at the finish line."

Sunday, September 18, 2016

First Letter from Majuro

So I would like to begin by saying that I am alive and well and doing great!

this email will be a little short because I have an hour on P Days to reach everyone, most importantly the fam.

SO:

Landing here was the weirdest experience ever. Like it is all ocean in the windows until the plane hits the ground and then you see a little bit of land. It was a bit unnerving. So then once we got out I saw all the Utah missionaries drenched in sweat as soon as we got off the plane. It was hilarious. Then we got in and met the mission president and some APs (Assistants to the President). They are such nice people and I am excited to work with him. Next we learned where we were going. Turns out they closed more Islands and they will be opening more when the next intake comes in 6 weeks. So most of us were sent to Majuro or Ebeye with two of us getting sent to outer islands (1 in Lae and 1 in Woje). Sheffield got put in Woje and Wakefield got put in Lae. I am in Delap, which is a pretty sizeable area on the coast next to Uliga and Rita. My companion, who comes home in December, is not here yet because Air Marshall is called Air Maybe because sometimes they just cancel flights just cause. So he should be here tomorrow so I can start working in my area. I am rooming with Elders from the Uliga area, Elder Peterson and Elder Helgenberger. They are awesome people and it has been fun going in their area preaching to people. 

Next, to all the people who said this would be a 2 year vacation:
You couldn't be more wrong! From the google pictures the place looks beautiful and tropical when in reality, everyone is impoverished, malnourished, litter everywhere, smells terrible everywhere, and just a big dump. Sure we don't have to worry about snakes or poisonous things, but we have to worry about Dogs. They are everywhere and most are without a home. We need to carry rocks with us wherever we go in case one comes bounding toward us. It is scary out here, and I pray that I will get used to it. 

But I am grateful I am here. I have met some wonderful people with bright smiles and humility and happiness everywhere. They have so little but know the real cause of happiness is love and family. I am excited to work here and I am ready to learn this language.

Everyone talks super fast and uses slang that we didn't learn in the MTC, so basically I am relearning the language I thought I knew pretty well.

I will try and get some pictures out so you all can see Majuro :)

I love you all and will talk to you all next week


Elder Johnson

1 comment: