Elder Austin J. Johnson

Elder Austin J. Johnson
Elder Austin Johnson has been called to serve in the Marshall Islands Marjuro Mission of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and invites you to share in his adventure! "You will know at the finish line."

Sunday, September 25, 2016

First Week on Majuro Atoll



 I want people to know how grateful I am for them. I found out that I will be training in 4 weeks. That is the shortest time ever to train but I know that I can do it with the help of the Lord. So my "son" is still in the MTC so I will have 6 weeks on him and I have to train him in the culture, the language, and the gospel! Wish me luck! The kids here are adorable. It is hilarious because some kids laugh at me because i am white and call me "ri-palle" (white guy) and some burst into tears because apparently white people are scary! Talk about racism huh? ;) im just playing the kids in the ward love me because I can do a little magic and it astounds them, as well as the fact that I can wiggle my ears. Some old lady thought that that was the funniest thing ever and she couldn't stop laughing. So it was my first Sunday in the ward i am assigned to and we had to teach sunday school and elders quorum on the spot... and my comp took the lead in sunday school but when he found out about elders quorum he said "its all you son" so I attempted to teach about likening the scriptures to ourselves and they just looked at me puzzled... it was the worst haha. But turns out I am older than the ward mission leader... they are lacking in priesthood so the guy just turned 18. it was funny! I will be 19 next week and I am older than the guy in charge! Anyway I hope you all enjoyed the stories and I will try to acquire more this week! Stay true and faithful always and keep being obedient!

Elder J

(ps. my volleyball skills are insane thanks to the islanders!)

Elder Johnson was very short on words today, but here are a few snippets from the letters he wrote to his mother and I.

"This is truly a different mission than most and I agree with that, but it isn't gonna stop me from being obedient. I have only had one Marshallese meal so far and it is interesting!
Sasheemi (raw fish)
Chicken
RIce
Bwiro (preserved breadfruit) (makes orange scat look like a joke)
Ma (breadfruit) (the most tasteless fruit ever)
Ni (coconut) that is the best

That is all I have had that is Marshallese. They also love Ramen here so Cameron would be in heaven."

"I get to sleep on a pad, so not a mat yet but in the outer islands you get to sleep on the floor :)

"I found out that I will be training next transfer. I am so nervous because I don't feel ready but I have faith that the lord will help me despite only knowing the area for 5 weeks. But I will be sent somewhere else. So both transfers so far will be whitewashing (both missionaries are new). LOVE YOU SO MUCH <3"
The apartment.

My bed.

This bridge is the highest point in the Marshall Islands.

Proof of the water clearness, but it is hot! 





Islands we waded through knee deep water to get to.

The islands we waded to on P-Day

The urban area of Majuro.

May have not put on enough sunscreen today.


The bananas that grow here are super tiny, but the sweetest ever. We hang them outside our window to ripen.

So I have a drivers license!

No comments:

Post a Comment