Elder Austin J. Johnson

Elder Austin J. Johnson
Elder Austin Johnson has been called to serve in the Marshall Islands Marjuro Mission of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and invites you to share in his adventure! "You will know at the finish line."

Sunday, December 11, 2016

Almost 4 months?! (27 November 2016)

Hey Mom!

How goes life? It is going great here! I miss you so so so much!
I hit 4 months on the 3rd! Holy Cow! Time really does fly! You are also on my mind, especially during this Christmas season! I actually walked into the house to my comp playing "believe" by Josh Groban and I walked over and shut it off because the feels were getting to me. Apparently he has Michael Buble too and I am not even thinking about touching that this month haha.  This week I am hoping to solve some issues with my trainer. I am going to apologize to him and stuff so hopefully he doesn't hold a grudge when he leaves in 10 days. No doubt in my mind that this is the hardest thing I have every done, but I am beginning to see the fruit of my labors. The work was a bit slower this week, apparently it slows down during Christmastime here. We have two GOLD investigators. One is named Sam, which is a cool story the Spirit for real like guided us to him. He went to church for the first time yesterday and he loved it. When I take a pic with him you will think that he looks a little sketch but that what everyone looks like here. Then we have a man named Jason Thaddeus. He is the bomb. His girlfriend was baptized into the church and she wants him to be baptized. He always has a smile on his face and they went to church last week and loved it. We also have another one named Sammy, and his girlfriend is one of the Bishop's daughters. We are just trying to check if he is actually wanting to be baptized for him and not for his gf. Honestly I don't really want to be transferred, but I have a feeling that I am. Maybe to an outer. But the office said that since Christmas is coming up soon that if someone gets sent to an outer they can Skype early December so we don't have to wait for a long time. I also want to eat at the president's because that sounds freakin delicious. We had American food for the first time (burgers) and we all got sick. We are getting used to Marshallese food too well. I already told Sister Goodsell about the 12 days and she said that she isnt going to hold it and she is going to give it to me. Apparently I am getting like 5 packages for Christmas (ya boy is loved : ' ) )

Hahaha I know it is bad but I can imagine you screaming when it hit the van :). Glad you are okay though

We had a great Thanksgiving, too. We had two, in fact.We had it on Thursday at the Ackley's (bishop's house) and had american food there. Really missed the rainbow jellow not gonna lie haha. Then on Friday we had it at Mama Linda's. Two families who have really made it comfortable to live here.  We have a 2 ft tall artificial tree. It was a nice touch. it is about as festive as you can get when its 98 degrees in December. Still think that its august to be honest :). Black Friday was like huge here. Bingo all night!! That is the funny thing about here. They love participating in games that require little mental and physical effort because they are super lazy. Even picking up Sam to go to church was a hassle. He was in his house, fully dressed in Sunday Clothes, asleep. We had kids slap his face for 10 MINUTES trying to wake him. And they were slapping HARd and he wouldn't budge. I am excited to watch it too! That was on my movies missed list :P. It is so weird to think that it is December oh my goodness.

 Toothpaste: Low  Deodorant: Lower Sunscreen: Emman Shampoo: Low . Honestly a mosquito net is great! That is all I want or need at the moment. Thank you for doing this for Koleni. He will love those things! Helgenberger saw my dog taser and he had a rough time with them in Long Island, he actually got bit and it got infected a few months ago. So if you don't mind could you send him one too? He will love you forever. I miss Cullen! I can't wait to Skype with you guys soon! And share my knowledge of Marshallese culture and dancing. 

Because during Christmas time we sing three traditional marshallese christmas songs (memorized two already) and we do something called beet. The best way I can describe beet is musical charades. Basically each ward is assigned an action (ours is digging out a canoe, painting it, and pushing it out into the water), and you have to make like a 10 minute dance to show that it what you are doing. IT IS SO MUCH FUN! I have never sweat as hard as i have ever.

akwe ro jeiu im jatu!

This week was awesome. I love the mission and it has taught me already so many things. I am already feeling a change in my life. I love the work here. People here are really lazy but this mission is teaching me to never give up. It is a little harder battling homesickness as the holiday season rolls by, but just thinking that one month from new years I will be out in the field 6 months! That is so weird to think about! Time honestly does fly. This language is so hard and so disorganized but I love it. We are in the process of singing Christmas Marshallese songs for the holiday season. It is so hard. But I have had some fun with it.

Million tausand tausand ko engel ro rej al ijo ilan
armej otemjej ioon lal rej nebar nebar ad rilomoor
rilal im ial rej jimon al kon al ko remajaja
hojanna nejin david king elotak bethlehem

(drumbeat)x2 obrak kon mejatoto kon ainikien aer al
drumbeatx3 hojanna nejin david king elotak bethlehem

Translation: Millions of thousands of angels sing in the heavens
all people on the earth are praising our savior
people of the earth they sing with songs of beauty
hosanna the son of king david is born in bethlehem

fill the air with the sound of their singing
hosanna the son of king david is born in bethlehem


Here is one I translated because I am a freak who is along haha

Kurijmeej kwoj ped ia?
etke ijab maron pukot eok?
etke ijab maron ron al eo am?
lal eo ao is oktak, na ij ikur,
emelelein ke kurijmeej bar oktak?

Literal Translation:
Cindy Lou Who 

Christmas, where do you exist?
Why am I not able to find you?
Why am I not able to hear the song of yours?
The world of mine is different! me, I am rearranging.
Does it mean Christmas also changes?

That is "Where are you Christmas" in Marshallese. I am working on Hymns and giving them to the Stake President to publish into a bigger hymnbook. #makingadifference

So I heard I get to call you for 40 minutes to "set up Skype" then we can Skype for 40 minutes. Not SO bad. Remember to write questions :)


Love you so much and I am so proud of you. GOOD LUCK TOMORROW!


Elder Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment