Elder Austin J. Johnson

Elder Austin J. Johnson
Elder Austin Johnson has been called to serve in the Marshall Islands Marjuro Mission of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and invites you to share in his adventure! "You will know at the finish line."

Monday, March 27, 2017

19 February 2017: Letter to Dad and Mom

Hey Dad,

This week was eye-opening. I have visited every house in my area with little to no success. This is the hardest part of this mission. We are on a tiny island with people who have seen and heard us for the last 40 years and some days it just feels like we baptized all those who are really ready and now we deal with people who are ignorant and don't want to listen to us. We have 2 investigators and 1 less active at the moment. It can get really discouraging at times but this is apparently the hardest area on Majuro. As you see in mom's email, I gave a really nice long talk in Sacrament meeting. I don't remember most of it but I know that the spirit was there and that the gift of tongues was given to me at that moment. I will hear about transfers and I hope that the news won't make me go insane. It can get pretty tough! But I agree with the Monday motivation and I will continue to work hard. This transfer has been trying mentally for me but it's gods will and he knows what he is doing! 

Not a day goes by where I think of the runs. I am severely out of shape. I do think my arms and chest have gotten stonger but my cardio is killed. I ran 10 laps around the chapel and almost died. I need to start the burpee grind again I guess. I am really grateful that I chose to run those races. In a time where our relationship was on the ropes, this thing brought immense change and I am forever grateful for it. 

I love you so much dad. I sent some letters so you should be getting them this week!


Elder Johnson

Hey Mom,

Yeah, I do realize that my emails recently have just been answering questions. I guess it is just because weeks in Ajeltake there is not much to report. This is the hardest area I have been in. As of the end of this week I can say that I have visited EVERY SINGLE HOUSE in my area and we only have 2 investigators and 1 less active who are willing to study. IT has been a real let down and the motivation is low but we still get out and ask for service (which still hasn't happen). One thing that happened this week was the 1st counselor of the ward came over to our house on Tuesday and said that the Goodsell's volunteered us to give the talks in sacrament meeting. I was super nervous knowing that just me, Elder Peterson, and Elder Hansen were gonna take up all the time in sacrament meeting. I prayed for some guidance and for the gift of tongues as I was preparing my talk on Agency and Repentance and how they work together. Elder Hansen went first and took a good 12 minute chunk as did Elder Peterson. Then it was my turn with 20 mins left in sacrament meeting. I only took a few notes and didn't write a script and I think I did rather well. I took 25 minutes! In Marshallese! God hears our prayers and answers us and gives us "the words we need at the exact time we need it" (DandC something). Also I went on a split with Elder Thiel. This was the first time I have worked with someone from my intake besides Elder Sheffield in the 3rd week of my mission. We worked nonstop from 10-8. No success. But it was fun to be with him because we dived into deep doctrine and it was intense. I love deep doctrine. 

I think that I will find out transfers this Wednesday and if not the Wednesday after then it will be on Thursday. I will let ya know if I am moving! So this one sister has the Moana soundtrack and I love the music. "You're Welcome" is my favorite followed by the "awe awe" song which is in Samoan and Tufaluan so Koleni translates for us! I am more than excited to read and see my life book! I know how long it took you so that makes the value priceless. 

Thank you for sending the package. I forgot to tell you but in the 2nd month my mission belt broke. The screws were messed up and poorly put on. Peterson had the EXACT SAME kind and color and it did the same thing. Apparently that is the bad kind haha. I am really not looking forward to the cold weather haha! I love that our Elders Quorum in Ajeltake is studying about Hinckley too. We just learned how happy and optimistic he was. Truly an inspiration, like you!

Miss you mom and love you more than anything!

Elder Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment