Elder Austin J. Johnson

Elder Austin J. Johnson
Elder Austin Johnson has been called to serve in the Marshall Islands Marjuro Mission of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and invites you to share in his adventure! "You will know at the finish line."

Monday, March 27, 2017

19 March 2017: A Horrible Experience...

Mom,

Lets get straight into the week! What a week it has been! I made a killer poem that I will be sending in the group email. It took me 40 minutes to create. It was nice to rhyme again. 

So I love the fact that when we go to Less-Actives houses they act so different when they are around us. They try and hide EVERTHING when they see us coming at them. This one less active hid beetle-nut so bad and we were just like "bro we caught you" but apparently his wife is the reason he doesn't come to church. yeah... okay.

We are teaching this Baba whose whole family are members and his daughter actually just got off of a mission. They pray for him every day but he has been taking lessons with the missionaries going on four years now. Well, we are still working with him and hopefully we can get him close to baptism. The funny story is he has a one year old grandchild who is the most adorable kid ever. She loves the missionaries and knows all of our names. She was misbehaving during a lesson and the grandma was taking her away and she just turns around and says the Marshallese F-Word to her. We all dies laughing haha we were like who taught her. Funny times

So this week I had an interview with the Mission President because he just got back and he wanted to interview all of the missionaries. He is making me apply to BYU Provo soooooo... sorry dad. He said it is good that I apply now and ask questions later.. so if you could send my high school transcript that would be lovely!

Also at the Baba's house he made us Sashumi (raw fish) and I love it. Tell Cam and Lex not to complain about Salmon again haha. Honestly I would love to make yous some marshallese food but all we need is tuna and rice hahahah...

Another spiritual story is we picked up this golden investigator who is 14 and we just started teaching with him this week. He told us in the first lesson that he wanted to serve a mission when he is 16. I told him that he would have to wait until he is 18 to serve but in my mind I thought it was because he just wants to travel to another place. I asked him why he wanted to serve a mission and he said "to learn more about the bible and Jesus taught people when he was 12 so I think I should do the same thing. I was blown away. He will also be getting baptized on the 1st of April.

So Saturday we did service all day for a family in Rita. I husked a coconut with my teeth (will never do again but only did it to say I did) and our reward for our service was the family shot their dog to eat it. But they used a gun that is used to kill chickens. So the dog was whimpering and started to run away. There were a lot of kids there and so they took rocks in all of their hands and went dog hunting haha. What happened next is something I will never forget in my life. As the kids turn the corner as they are chasing a weak bloodied dog, around the corner amongst the kids carrying two huge stones is my Samoan companion, with wild eyes and a smile from ear to ear as he looks at me and shouts "MANE" (marshallese for KILL IT). I have never been so scared and yet so hysterically laughing at the same time my whole life. 

Well, the dog eventually died and we saw them gut it and cook it. Elder Miva ate the liver raw. It was a disgusting time. But the sad news is that it took ALL day to cook so we weren't even able to eat it.. I was a little bummed but it was all fun times. It was really sad to see a dog suffer the way it did.

So Sunday was one of the most exhausting days of the mission. I translated for a senior couple for sacrament, then was asked on the fly to prepare a sunday school lesson and teach it. Then I translated Elders Quorum... geez i was so drained by the end of sacrament haha...




Answer the questions:

I am great! I am surprised about how much I love my new area. The bishop is highly missionary oriented and he feeds us all the time. I did at the beginning of this transfer pick up the suitcase. So now I have more than 4 ties. :)Right now we have 8 solid investigators. It is crazy to think that we have more success in this half mile than I ever did in Ajeltake.  So all of the schedule now is our choice, and President Larkin doens;t decide for us. The members love feeding us! Actually this week we had 2 dinners in one night!

Good luck in your more schooling (does that make sense??) and work hard I know you are the smartest in the class!'

I hope the movie list is big haha but i am glad B&B didn't bomb...


love ya mom



Elder J

No comments:

Post a Comment